In december 2021 I started to work on a project “by accident”. This project is called DStarGateway
What is it?
DStarGateway is based on Jonathan Naylor G4KLX ircddbGateway. It adds some features while dropping some dead ones i.e. ones that were actually no longer used by anyone.
For example :
- NAT Traversal using ircddb as a Rendez-Vous network. This allows DPlus, Dextra and G2 inbound connections to work even when in a Carrier Grade NAT (e.g. most mobile carriers).
- RSMS1A messages are forwarded from and to APRS-IS. BTW, the RSMS1A message protocol is pure junk!
- Improved DPRS handling, especially for DV-G NMEA based DPRS.
- Correct handling of simultaneous G2 on multiband systems.
- Can run as a daemon or systemd service (yet install script only support systemd for now)
On the dev side
- Adding continuous integration and behavior driven testing
- VS Code files are provided
Why and how did it start?
DStarGateway started after a discussion with Cyrille F1MHV / DF1CHB. He told me it’d be nice to have the connection status of the gateway reported over APRS-IS as a status frame. First I fiddled around with some bash scripting and eventually decided to try to integrate directly it to ircddBGateway. I also eventually got annoyed by wxWidget lib and decided to drop it.
Now the software is running flawlessly on all of our club repeaters and is very stable since months.
How to get it?
This cannot be installed on Pi-Star! You need to setup your system from scratch and build the other required software in order to have a complete working repeater/hotspot system.
If you have a repeater system and if you are able to compile and setup software onto a Linux system then you are more than welcome to test the software and provide feedback.
One last thing, when submitting PRs please write tests for your code.